Still called the Family Values Tour, this blog now detours into our latest adventure -- building our house in Volcano, HI.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Arrived in Dubai

Got into Dubai on Saturday morning at about 6am. I was beat as sleeping on airplanes has never really worked out for me. Got my couple cases of beer at the Duty Free (one can't buy beer here without a special license) and caught a cab to my hotel. By the time I arrived at the hotel I had a pretty awful headache so I downed some aspirin and took a nap.

I awoke a couple hours ready to check out the surrounding neighborhood.

Dubai is basically a massive construction zone. It's actually difficult to walk anywhere as the sidewalks are all disrupted by so many buildings going up. With the construction and the surrounding desert -- it's a really dirty place. Nevertheless, there's a lot of people here trying find some degree of opportunity. There is a lot of money here; clearly a playground for the wealthy.

These pictures aren't great but give some sense of what my neighborhood is like.











PB080004.jpg
PB080001.jpg
PB080005.jpg




No comments: