Still called the Family Values Tour, this blog now detours into our latest adventure -- building our house in Volcano, HI.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Making progress on the data management process

I have been working with Peter and Eliud to better understand the data management process. Now that I am pretty comfortable with it, I am producing documentation on the entire process so that I can bring something for Eliud's counterpart in Ethiopia, Amir, will have something to follow. Additionally, I will be helping Eliud to create the new customized worksheets and databases for the new surveys now coming in. It is pretty interesting work and proving to be pretty complicated. So much so, that I have recently modified my itinerary so that I will now be staying in Kisumu until Aug 4. That will give me an extra week and a half in Kenya. Here are a few pictures of the people here in Kisumu working on the data collection and management. You will see the office at the ICRAF office, Eliud and Peter working on the database, and several people who are responsible for the data entry.



2 comments:

Thane said...

What type of database do they have?

Shawn Mishler said...

Data entry folks use Excel to transfer data from surveys to worksheets and then it is transferred into MS Access using a program called Logbook developed by Peter Muraya or the World Agroforrestry Center. Logbook then allows one to organize and browse the data set quite efficiently. Logbook is an impressive program.
-shawn