Still called the Family Values Tour, this blog now detours into our latest adventure -- building our house in Volcano, HI.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Leaving Kisumu

It's Saturday at almost noon; Kristen and I have just picked up our tickets for travel to Mombasa (they did not arrive yesterday as scheduled and I was beginning to get concerned). Today is my last day in Kisumu, so I will include a few pictures from around town. My stay here has been very nice, but I am ready to move on. It's a small town and starting feel like it now.

Here is a small area where people peddle their wares (actually that happens everywhere but this is near the Barclay's Bank so I go near it often). The main strip through town is off to the right.

This is looking up the main strip; I believe the road is called Oginga Odinga and Kenyatta Highway runs perpendicular just under the green sign in the middle which is Kenya Central Bank. Nearly all of the businesses you see pictured are owned by Indians. For some reason few businesses are actually African owned.

This is an abandoned building, being torn down I guess. But, the 2 small vans are called Matatus which race around like mad with stereo blasting and guys hanging out the sliding door recruiting passengers. One can travel nearly anywhere in them, but I haven't worked up the courage yet. The seat next to the driver is referred to as the death seat. No thanks.

This is a side street in Kisumu of a couple places to eat. You're thinking, not very appetizing, huh? Some of them are actually pretty good. There is one I have been to a couple times called the Hangover Hotel. Hotel means place to eat around here. At Hangover, you can get chicken or talapia cooked over coals with oogali (a flour concoction very similar to polenta, but made with wheat flour) and a tomato/pea sauce.

Finally, this a picture I took of a woman walking with her shopping bag balance on her head. Women balance all sorts of things on their heads as they walk from place to place. I have seen young women carrying about 5 gallons of water atop their head, which must weigh about 35/40 pounds. Amazing.

No comments: